Air Force and Navy are gearing up for their Thursday and Friday night games this week while Army is on a bye before taking on Tulane. Still, there’s no shortage of Service Academy news, here’s what’s going on this week Around The Yard.
- Navy football is back from its bye week to take on the University of Memphis at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium on Thursday night, Sept. 26, at 8 pm ET. Check our site later this week for our game preview. You can watch the game on ESPN or catch the broadcast on Navy Radio Network.
Clearly, the Mids are pumped. If you haven’t followed Navy FB on Twitter— you should now.
Heading into Game Week like.... #NavyFB | #BuiltDifferent pic.twitter.com/WRZdUEFCJT— Navy Football (@NavyFB) September 23, 2019
- Both men’s and women’s soccer teams have been on fire! After the men’s team defeated both Longwood (2-1) and Holy Cross (4-0) last week, they’ll take on Liberty tonight at 7 pm at the Liberty at Glenn Warner and go up against Loyola, Saturday at 12 noon in Baltimore, Md. Stay updated with the games by following PatriotLeague.TV and navysports.com
- Of note, the Navy men’s team also moved into the top 25 of the Coaches Poll at #25. They are undefeated on the season currently at 7-0!
. @NCAASoccer men’s rankings:— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) September 24, 2019
(18 Virginia Tech, 20 James Madison, 25 Navy)https://t.co/uyEZdC40N8
- Women’s soccer nailed two victories of their own last week against Howard (3-0) and Liberty (1-0). They are now 9-1 on the year. Check out the Army-Star Game this Friday, Sept, 27 at 7 pm at West Point.
- Catch another Army-Star Game match up with women’s volleyball this Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 pm at West Point. Next they’ll take on Holy Cross Saturday, later afternoon at 4 pm.
- Air Force takes on San Jose State this Friday, Sept. 27 at 8 pm ET. Watch the game on CBS sports network or on the radio on KVOR AM 740.
- The Gazette took a look at how the Falcons will fair against SJSU after falling last week to Boise State: “The thing that’s most obvious now is just the execution and the consistency — and the number of returners they have, too. You knew they had an awful lot of ability, and they’ve proved it so far, for sure,” said Coach Troy Calhoun.
- Women’s volleyball has a match up against Utah State on Thursday, Sep 26 at 8:30 pm ET and the next day, women’s soccer goes up against Fresno at 9:00 pm ET.
- Men’s tennis kicks off day one of the ITA Mountain Region Bedford Cup on Friday, Sept 27 at 12 noon in Colorado Springs.
- Though the Black Knights ended last Saturday with yet again, another home victory after beating out Morgan State, 52-21, the game wasn’t without criticism. The Times Herald-Record wrote, “At present, the remainder of Army’s slate resembles a mine field. Every opponent, Army should technically be able to stomp, but if the players wake up on the wrong side of the bed that morning — as they did against Morgan State — it has the potential to blow up in their faces.”
- Forbes wrote about Army football and the turnaround Coach Jeff Monken has created since arriving at West Point. Here’s a snippet, “The Cadets are a throwback to a different era of football, one where the forward pass was as rare as a man walking on the moon. Yet here is Monken, merging big data with big backs to create one of the most frustrating football teams on the planet to play against.”
- Basketball season is quickly approaching and ticket information is now available. Notably, the men will open the year against perennial Big East powerhouse Villanova, on Nov. 5 at 8:30 pm.
- Jen Consaul was just announced as assistant coach of the softball team. Consaul comes to West Point from UNC Charlotte. She’ll join head coach Cheryl Milligan who said, “She is a very practical and hands on coach who brings a ton of enthusiasm for the game to our dugout. We are thrilled to have someone like Jen to lead our pitchers to the next level.”
It’s been a great start to the season for many of our service academy teams and we can’t wait to see them in action throughout the rest of the fall semester. Here’s to a big week of Star Series matchups and weeknight football!