In a few months, the Virginia Military Institute will be playing football again.
The Southern Conference announced Wednesday its plans and schedule for a 2021 spring football season. VMI will play an eight-game slate in the SoCon, beginning with a home contest against UT-Chattanooga on Feb. 20.
VMI will wrap up its season with a road game at the Citadel on April 17 in the latest chapter of The Military Classic of the South. The Keydets beat the Bulldogs for the first time since 2002 last season, finally bringing the Silver Shako back to Lexington.
The Citadel played a four-game fall football season and lost each contest, falling to USF, Clemson, Eastern Kentucky and Army.
It’s unclear if VMI will play any non-conference games this spring.
Each of VMI’s SoCon games will air online on either ESPN3 or ESPN+.
Here’s the full schedule for the Keydets, who finished 5-7 in the fall of 2019.
- Saturday, Feb. 20 – at Chattanooga
- Saturday, Feb. 27 – ETSU
- Saturday, Mar. 6 – at Western Carolina
- Saturday, Mar. 13 – MERCER
- Saturday, Mar. 20 – at Samford
- Saturday, Mar. 27 – FURMAN
- Saturday, Apr. 3 – at Wofford
- Saturday, Apr. 17 – The Citadel
- Saturday, Apr. 24 – FCS Playoffs
October 21, 2020