Army and Navy announced late last week that they will play a home-and-home series against each other this fall in sprint football. The game at West Point will be on Oct. 4 at 1 p.m., while the game in Annapolis will be played on Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. The latter game will count for the Star Series. Army beat Navy in the Collegiate Sprint Football League title game at Franklin Field in Philadelphia last year.
Army-Navy Fall 2020 Schedule Update— ArmyWestPoint Sports (@GoArmyWestPoint) September 11, 2020
Four ⭐️ matches in the Star Series, presented by @USAA, scheduled in 2020.
For more info check out https://t.co/Elfk2AK9kt.#GoArmy | #BeatNavy pic.twitter.com/eJuXStwA8F
Onto the links…
Feinstein’s Findings: A Tale of 2-0 (John Feinstein, GoArmyWestPoint.com)
Szczesniak savors season with Army football squad (Tim O’Brien, The Beverly Review)
His dad is synonymous with Tulsa football, but Army commit Owen Ostroski wasn’t recruited by TU (Ill Haisten, Tulsa World)
Buchanan is Army’s ‘Human Wrecking Ball’ (Ken McMillan, Times Herald-Record)
A few Army notes…
- Senior linebacker Jon Rhattigan made Pro Football Focus’ list of five players who look set for a big breakout after week two. Rhattigan earned PFF grades above 90 in both of Army’s wins so far this season.
- Senior linebacker Amadeo West was added to the watchlist for the Lott Trophy.
- U.S. Lacrosse’s early rankings have the Army men tabbed as No. 16 in the nation.
Sports Editor & Army Beat Writer for Times Herald-Record @KenMcMillanTHR shares if he thinks BYU vs. Army will be rescheduled and if so, when. #BYUSN #BYUFootball pic.twitter.com/YIyxaNDkUS— BYU Sports Nation (@BYUSportsNation) September 16, 2020
COMMITMENT TRACKER: Van Buren (Ark.) QB Gary Phillips joins #ArmyFootball 2021 class.— Sal Interdonato (@salinterdonato) September 15, 2020
"They talk about brotherhood & how they’re family. I was constantly getting letters from coaching staff. I honestly felt part of family so I decided I wanted to be officially be apart of it." pic.twitter.com/tPUG1c0LBT
Navy football coach rips Pentagon for Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy series, then apologizes (ESPN)
Feeling a ‘void’ in his life, lacrosse recruit Johnny Hodges switched gears, joined Navy football team (Bill Wagner, Capital Gazette)
Tulane Prepares for a Nautical Showdown on ABC (Fear the Wave)
A few Navy notes…
- The American Athletic Conference announced Wednesday that it has partnered with Virtual Care for Families regarding COVID-19 antigen testing for its member institutions on the day prior to competition for football student-athletes, coaches and support staff. The testing program utilizes a rapid COVID testing program which allows for 15-minute results and is designed for group testing capabilities. The Conference has administered the Antigen test since the beginning of the season on an experimental basis and now will be working with Virtual Care for Families for the entire season.
Great news for the Navy Radio Network! @ESPNHonolulu (92.7 FM / 1420 AM) will carry Saturday's football game vs. Tulane. Pregame show will be 5 am local time and kick will be 6 am. We hope this is the first of many games on this great station.— Navy Athletics (@NavyAthletics) September 15, 2020
Your weekly Devin Mockobee appreciation tweet. Unofficially had 423 yards and 5 touchdowns tonight.— Kyle Sokeland (@kylesokeland) September 12, 2020
Season update: the Navy commit now has 1,013 yards and 14 touchdowns in 4 games. pic.twitter.com/AX2Pnn837i
Mountain West opens door for possible return of football (Kevin Lytle, Fort Collins Coloradoan)
Air Force stays silent as report suggests it wouldn’t join Mountain West in fall football restart (Brent Briggeman, The Gazette)
A few Air Force notes…
- Shondell Reed has been named associate athletic director at Air Force, according to an announcement from Director of Athletics Nathan Pine. Reed comes to Colorado Springs from the University of Washington where he was senior associate athletic director. Reed will be the men’s basketball administrator in addition to other duties when he begins on Oct. 12.
A model of consistency.@BenGarland63 enters his year in the league #BoltBrotherhood pic.twitter.com/epS9wSbQF3— Air Force Football (@AF_Football) September 10, 2020
The good news: WE WILL PLAY BASKETBALL ON NOV 25! And we'll be practicing well before that which feels even better. The bad news: recruiting dead period extended to Jan 1...we have some truly great 2021 commits who I want so badly to see USAFA--we'll get you out here; hang tough!— Chris Gobrecht (@AFAcoachG) September 17, 2020
Elsewhere in sports and the military…
Pittsburgh Steeler, former Army Ranger pays tribute to Iraq War hero with helmet (J.D. Simkins, Military Times)
- Citadel linebacker Willie Eubanks III on his decision to play this season: “It really was not a hard decision for me. I told my parents I wanted to play, my coaches, everybody around me. It wasn’t too much of a decision to think about.” At the Post & Courier, Jeff Hartsell has more on the All-American and the Bulldogs’ upcoming game vs. Clemson. For Eubanks, an NFL prospect, this is a showcase game of sorts.
90 Seconds of Depth takes an inside look @VMI_Football Senior Jordan Ward. The unique path he took to playing the game and fulfilling his dream to play Division I. Along with his goal driven persona and the best advice he would give to his teammates #90SecondsofDepth #RahVaMil pic.twitter.com/RgQNNdmTA0— VMI Athletics (@VMIAthletics) September 16, 2020